What distinguishes those of us at the starting line from those of us on the couch is that we learn through running to take what the days gives us, what our body will allow us, and what our will can tolerate.
John Bingham, running writer and speaker
This was my runners world "quote of the day" and today it really hit home especially the part I put in bold print. I need to vent so beware!
I'm only my 3rd week into my marathon training schedule and I'm already struggling. I'm not struggling with endurance or mental strength mind you, it's my dang, old body! After all the struggles I had last year, I finally started to feel like I had healthy legs again making sure I really took my time building my base miles BUT guess what? I have yet another overuse leg injury! Actually, a couple of them! My IT band in my right leg has been bothering me for a while but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse so I think I'm okay with that. My NEW problem is one I can't seem to figure out. It's in my right hamstring and it HURTS! I think I tweaked a tendon just above my knee on the back of my leg. It pops in a painful way. The first time it happened, my leg buckled and I just about fell off the treadmill. (that would have been funny...and embarrassing!) Now it doesn't start popping until I hit about mile 4 or 5. I've been stretching it and taking it easy as much as I can but I have yet to hit my long run for this week and it's really depressing me. Why can't I just stay healthy dad-gummit! MY WILL can't tolerate THIS!
3 comments:
Does hot or cold effect the pain at all?
I'm really sorry!
I am liking the new look of the blog. Very rich and sleek!
That is frusterating! I'm not liking this getting older thing either. Hang in there.
i am so, so, so very sorry! you know i hurt when you hurt! ha!!!
i am totally bummed for you:( i hope, hope, hope that it starts to feel better soon. i may have an oil that might help?
Post a Comment