Sunday, September 28, 2008

10K KICK-OFF

So this past weekend kicked off the fall running season with Chantel's family and ours traveling to Flagstaff for a 10K. Before I get to the race, I have to share our hotel drama. When we got up there to check into our hotel, our "Non-smoking" room completely wreaked of cigarette smoke. It was absolutely disgusting! It was so bad, just the few minutes we were there left us all with head aches. After complaining about the room, we were moved to a much better smelling but still stuffy room on the second floor. Wes tried to open the window and it literally came apart in his hand. The frame separated from the glass! Unbelievable! So I go back to the main desk to request that our room be cancelled so we could go to another hotel. The manager didn't even blink with my request. Do you think he's heard my complaints before??? So anyway, after moving to a MUCH BETTER HOTEL, we settled in to watch the debate and get some rest. The next morning we headed over to Chantel's hotel to drop off the kids so they could play with her kids during the race. I was so grateful her parents and cousins came up. The kids ended up having a lot of fun and Wes and Seth were able to enjoy the race without a group full of munchkins to worry about.
So...the race. Let me tell you, if I considered my last race a "grueling trail run" this one would have to be described as more of a treacherous, lung busting, ankle breaker! Yeah, I'm not kidding. You really had to watch every single step and the altitude! Oh my gosh! EIGHT THOUSAND feet in elevation is no joke. Do you know that they have a "High Altitude Training Center" in Flagstaff? That would have been nice. I was completely unprepared even though I ran in Prescott earlier this year and I know the effects it can have. Still the highest elevation in the Prescott race was 6300'. Our valley is only at 1500'. They say all you need to really feel the effects of altitude is a difference of 3000'. In Flagstaff we were more than twice that! What were we thinking??!! So anyway, I consider Chantel a much stronger runner than me but the hills and altitude even had her struggling. By mile 2 both of us had to stop and walk for a little bit to catch our breath. We both felt lucky to have just been able to finish it. Thank goodness I didn't try the half! I ended up finishing with a time of 1:5:06. I know that doesn't sound too bad but it wasn't as fast as I was hoping for. I was surprised at first that the more elite runners that I'm used to seeing weren't there but NOW I know why.... they won't risk turning an ankle right at the beginning of the season. I have so much to learn!
So anyway, after the race we grabbed some KFC and took the kids to the deer farm. It was really fun. I've never been that up close and personal with a deer before. They practically mauled us for our cups of food. I could have done without being "slimed" but the kids loved it. He's such a cutie!
Overall it was a really fun trip. Thanks for doing it with me Chantel!

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Wow that was an experience to blog for sure. I am glad you guys had your first race of the season. Running is hard for me I just can not get into it. Even though I want to. I was sick all weekend it really stunk. I love deer. I use to see them in our yard all the time. Even in the cars. The joys and memories of upstate NY. Are you guys running tomorrow?

Jake and Alisa said...

You and Anissa inspired me to get into running. My body is so out of shape, but I'm planning on running some small races first. Good for you!!!

Christine said...

Hey Nikki,
I am planning on it. I'm not sure if Chantel is feeling up to it or not. She's still not feeling too well. I have 5 EASY recovery miles to do. Come if you can!

Kelli said...

You ladies inspire me! Good for you! I'm glad you survived!

jana said...

That is AWESOME Christine!! Of course you make me feel old with six!! So not fair!! LOL!! I'm trying to better with running! It's great though! For some reason, you don't get many followers?!! Darn! Especially the the *oldest*!! Although, my 9 yo is training for a tri right now! Super cool!