Sunday, April 18, 2010

Emily's Room is FINALLY Finished!!!

We did it! We finally finished another space in our new home! This room ended up being a lot of work but I just love, love how it turned out! These pictures won't do it justice. It's really a space that can only be fully appreciated in person but I tried to capture some of it's drama as best I could.

The first step in creating this space was to smooth out all the walls and ceiling too. All the walls had to be completely smooth to really pull the off the crisp graphics but before we dove into to that task we had to tackle the ceiling. After skim coating and priming I had Weston apply 3 coats of pure white Venetian plaster to the ceiling. Then he applied a wax finish and buffed it to give it a highly reflective shine. All in all, it was a 7 step process but it's just stuning and well worth it!


Next we worked on the walls. We searched for the perfect blue to pull off the feel I wanted. The great thing about this blue is that it's vibrant enough to contrast beautifully with the graphic white tree silhouettes but muted enough so that it wasn't too overbearing. It changes with the light too and at night it really looks like a dusky backdrop in a real forest. Like I said, it's not something easily captured on camera but it's pretty neat in person especially when the trees reflect off the ceiling just right, making them appear to reach into the night sky.



The tree silhouettes were actually a lot easier than I thought they would be. I simply sketched them out by hand and let my professional, painter husband do the rest! Ha, ha. Being married to a painter that can cut in perfect lines with his eyes closed does have it's benefits! Anyway, it took two coats and about 3 days but the outcome is better than I imagined.

All of the accessories are items that I already had and in many cases repurposed from our old home. The light fixture was the one I had in my dining room, the chair from my living room, the headboard was my old desktop in my office (repainted) and the silk drapes and rod from my master bedroom. I still want to purchase a platform bed, a better bedside table, update the art on the wall and add an art piece above the bed. I know, sheesh, but for now it's finished! Yay!


BTW...Emily loves her room as much as I do! Lucky girl! It's going to be hard to top it when I finally get to my room but the boys room is next....oh, yeah!!!

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Will someone please help me find a different word? Christine, I can tell this looks amazing!

BTW: Where are you living now?

Nikki said...

Holy Cow.. That looks fantastic. When you need a project I have one for you :)

Mark and Karen said...

I love the way it turned out! fine job indeed. The only thing I would question is the head on the dresser. It would creep me out at night. :)