Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thanksgiving Weekend

Thanksgiving didn't turn out the way I expected this year but none the less, we have much to be thankful for. The Friday before Thanksgiving, my mom nearly died. She struggles with a number of health problems, mainly high blood pressure and seizures in addition to Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis among other things. I know, sheesh! Anyway, about three months ago, she stopped taking her medications because of some mishap with her health insurance. That Friday her blood pressure spiked so high she nearly stroked out. She said she knew she was dying and if this had happened a year ago, she would have willingly let go....but not this time! Realizing all she had to live for, she somehow dragged herself to her phone and called 911. Fortunately, she called just in time and they were able to get her the care she needed and most importantly, got her stable again but there's more. Remember just before Halloween she told me she had a spike in her blood pressure that caused her to go nearly blind in her right eye? Well, while she was hospitalized, they discovered it was a little more complicated than that. After doing a biopsy, they discovered she has a disease called Temporal Arteritis. It's a condition that restricts the blood vessels supplying blood and oxygen to the eyes. Because her condition was allowed to go untreated for so long, she has now lost all the vision in her right eye and most of the vision in her left too. Basically, she's now blind. It seriously breaks my heart to realize all the things in life that she had enjoyed doing so much, she can't do anymore. She can't knit, read books, watch movies and it goes on and on. I've been so heart broken for her. You would think she would be feeling a little broken hearted herself. Her life as she knew it is over but instead she is simply grateful to be alive! She's so full of gratitude that she actually laughs about not being able to see anymore! Through all her trials this year, the thing that she has come to appreciate the most is her family. She's reconnected with us and her grand kids and that means the world to her, enough to want to fight to live!
(My neice Tiffany and my mom)
I can't tell you how proud I am of her. She's been through so much in her life and to see her strength now is just plain wonderful and it truly reminded me of all I have to be grateful for myself. In times like these with the failing economy and evil everywhere, I am reminded that I have my family. We're healthy, we're happy and we're together and that's all that matters!
So anyway, after making several trips to the hospital, the day after Thanksgiving we decided to take the kids hiking. Weston's cousin Billy and some of his kids joined us too. The boys absolutely could not wait to go and perched themselves on top of my truck waiting impatiently for Billy to arrive so we could leave. We hiked Treasure Loop in Lost Dutchman Park near our temporary home. Every time I get out and explore this little town I am amazed by how beautiful it is. It really is gorgeous. It's so gorgeous that it makes me incredibly sad that it's so full of stupid, run down trailer parks. In my mind, this is one of the greatest missed opportunities in commercial and residential real estate in Arizona! It's just so sad.

We had such great time. Thanks for going with us Billy!

No comments: