Monday, August 25, 2008

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!




You know...I could probably drive a used car (even a really nice one) my whole life and never get hit like this but nooooooo.....my very first brand new car has to gets SMASHED for no good reason! Argggggh! This happened Thursday afternoon. I was waiting to make a left hand turn onto Crismon heading to pick my kids up from school. There was a SUV also turning left in front of me. The light turned yellow, the SUV made it's turn, I started to roll forward into his place to get ready to make my turn when BAM I got hit head on. I didn't even see it coming! I was so shocked, stunned that it took me several seconds to figure out what had just happened. My air bag exploded in my face, burning my arm and smoke was filling up my car. All of a sudden a witness was yanking my door open to see if I was okay. Everything seemed so surreal at first. I was trying to take it all in and realized I needed to let Anissa know so she could come get the kids and then all I could think about was my burning arm. It swelled up at first and the lady helping me kept saying it was broken. I knew it wasn't but MAN did it hurt! My burn was so mild by comparison to what I've heard other people going through. Even in the middle of all the chaos, my empathy was for them made me want to cry. I couldn't imagine being burned worse than I was. The pain...oh my gosh! Well anyway Weston arrived, then the police and paramedics. Everyone was checked out and then to add insult to injury....I WAS CITED! Can you believe that?! I explained to the officer that I was barely moving, maybe going 0-1 miles per hour (that's practically stationary!) when I WAS HIT still sitting in the left turn lane! The person who hit me (we think was an illegal) didn't have a drivers license. She's NEVER HAD a drivers license! Does she know that we don't drive down the safety lanes in Arizona??!!!! Soooooo frustrating!!!! I'm definitely fighting this one! So anyway, by that evening I could tell I was going to hurt and by the next day, I was really hurting, my neck and back especially. I went in to get checked out, got some really good pain killers and was scheduled for x-rays on Saturday. All my x-rays came back clean so yeah - no brakes! So I guess now it will just take some time to heal and hopefully I will get my car back soon...although it will NEVER be the same. :(


On a positive note.....my gratitude has been greatly strengthened. It could have been so much worse! This certainly wasn't a life threatening situation but it proves just how quickly something like this can happen. I am soooooo grateful that Cole was not in the car with me that day. I'm grateful the other driver was also not seriously hurt. I am so grateful that I'm alive, doing really well all things considered and that I'm still here with my family. I'm grateful I still get to be a mom, a wife, a friend, a daughter, a sister...I'm not ready to give any of that up yet. NOBODY is promised tomorrow and I'm grateful I was given another day!

8 comments:

Kelli said...

I have to comment on this because I was shocked as I stood listening to you tell me about this at church! Your brand new car! UGH! I'm so glad you are alright and still here!

Harmony said...

I can't believe you were given a ticket for that! What could they even say you were doing wrong? From the pictures it looks like you weren't even turning yet. Obviously they just ran right into you. That's utterly ridiculous! I hope you heal well and your car comes back soon but I would definitely fight the citation! Good grief!
-Harmony

Christine said...

You said it! I was cited for "failing to yield". One of my clients is a former police officer who said he would appear in court with me and then help me sue the Sherriff's office for their incompetence. What really chaps my hide is that an illegal can come into this country, hit someone head on and get nothing more than a slap on the wrist for it! She was only cited for not having a drivers license. It makes absolutely NO sense to me! Where is is her ticket for failing to yield!

Mark and Karen said...

HOLY COW! That is unbelievable. I hope you heal quickly and don't have lasting back pain.

I'm so glad I still have you as my sister! I still need you.

jana said...

I'm so glad that you weren't hurt! I would be so mad! A new car, idiot driver, and an equally dork of a cop! Hello, I would so fight this one too! You shouldn't have gotten the ticket. You have great pictures to show too! I hope your arem heals quickly and you feel better soon!

Nikki said...

I am so glad everything is getting better. I see my truck in the picture.

Jake and Alisa said...

You know what looks like happened...you said there was someone turning before you did...well, maybe the "illegal" didn't want to hit them, so moved over into your turning lane to avoid them and then hit you head on. FIGHT IT ALL THE WAY!! I drove by it and actually thought it was you standing or sitting, I can't remember which, but wasn't sure it was you until Emily came up to me the next morning and told me. I hope you feel better!!

Ballingham Family said...

Life is definatly so short! I am so glad that you are all right! I did see that aftermath and wasn't sure if we knew anyone because I am used to seeing you in your Durango anyways...so Happy that no one was seriously injured! It is only material things that can be replaced or fixed:) We would much rather have you in one piece!