


Here's Wes on the "zip" line.
Jalon got "raked" across the face with a leaf rake by one of his cousins. This was after he gashed his foot open on a twig. He had a rough weekend - poor guy.
The little ones got to enjoy a "redneck pinata" - toys and candy hidden in a bale of hay. It was so cute.
Emily with her Grandpa riding bikes together.
They had a summer Olympics theme for the reunion this year. Emily won a gold metal for the shot put and a silver in the long jump. Way to go honey!
The cousins being goofy.
Emily and her cousin Hadley.
Cole played on a dry, sandy island in the middle of the river the entire time building all kinds of interesting things with the mud. It was fun to watch him concentrate so hard on his work.
I have to tell you about one scary part. When we got up there, we were given an informative warning about the bears, mostly black bears, that were in the area. We were reminded to make sure we clean up our kids before putting them to bed and to keep our food away from our tents. You know, the usual. Well the first night we did good but the second night...not so much. After sitting around the camp fire until around 11:30, Wes said he needed to hit the outhouse before bed. It's always a little creepy wandering around at night, especially by yourself. He admitted to being a little nervous but set off anyway. Okay...I'm not the kind of person who can resist and opportunity like that! Shortly after he set off, Wendy (Wes's sister) and I creeped after him to see if we could give him a little "bear scare". We tip toed up to the outhouse and at the same time slammed our bodies against it and shook it as hard as we could. We could hear Wes drop the flashlight and say, "WHAT THE ..." We were laughing so hard we couldn't stand up straight. It was VERY, VERY funny! He was so mad at us but it was totally worth it! He's still sore about it if I bring it up. Anyway, shortly after that, we set off to bed not even thinking about making sure everything was put away and that our kids were clean. An hour later we heard SOMETHING tearing into our cooler not a foot away from our tent. Man-o-man! I shot out of bed without thinking and grabbed Jalon and Cole, ready to lick their faces off if I had to (they were still covered in marsh mellows). I was sure it was a bear! If you could hear the sound of the grunts and the strong jaws chewing the plastic, you would too. It was a terrifying sound! It ended up being a bull which one of Weston's cousins chased off for us but I was told they really do sound just like a bear. Never again will I be so lazy about clean up! Lesson learned!
5 comments:
That looks like good traditions right there. How fun is that!
Man that looks like a great place to have a reunion! It looks like so much fun! I'm not so sure about the bears though... very scary! I don't blame you for being terrified! -Harmony
Sounds like a great adventure for sure!!! That place looks so fun. I would love to go to a place like that. All the water around here is freezing (in the 40's). . .I wouldn't dare go in. I sure miss all of you!
sounds like a really fun time by all!!!
This looks like lots of fun. Matilyn was sad to see Jalon's face scratched up. Poor thing! I would say he had a rough one! I love family traditions.
Post a Comment