Saturday, March 29, 2008

Gaining a little perspective!

My race is exactly one week away and I until tonight I was feeling really excited. Last week I was able to run 11 miles on my long run and I felt great doing it! Today was my long run day again and I could barely do 7 miles. Yuk! What is wrong with me???!!!!! I'm not sure what's going on. I suspect stress and not eating as well as I should has something to do with it. I really hope I can turn this around by this next weekend. Either way, I know I'm going to have fun spending time with friends and getting some time away from home.
So anyway, I talked Weston into running a few miles with me today. I had already run 5 miles and he was going to do my last 4 miles with me. Up until now, he's only been able to run about a mile because he goes too fast. Tonight I encouraged him to stay with me and see if he can go the distance. After our first mile he was feeling pretty great! I remember him specifically telling me (while I was struggling) that at that pace he was pretty sure he could do 10 miles! I told him he'd be surprised to know how quickly the body wants to shut down when it's not used to that distance. Well after one more mile I'd had it but he was still feeling pretty good so I encouraged him to go for 5 miles. He seemed pretty confident but sure enough he quit at 3.5 and he's been complaining all night about how much his legs hurt! I guess 10 miles isn't as easy as you think!

4 comments:

Miss Niss said...

no worries girl! you got it! my FOUR mile run was rough on saturday too! i kept getting a dumb cramp....my 9 mile run on thursday felt better then saturday! hahahaha
i'm excited! lets do this!!! :)

Nikki said...

I think you nailed it, When you stress ocer it, not eat right and not sleep , it brings you down. Remember the talk giving yesterday at church. I know if you take care of yourself you are going to do just fine. Where are you running at by the way?

Christine said...

THE GREAT RACE OF AGOURA HILLS!!!
It's just outside of LA and is said to be one of the best races of the county. Anissa and I are so excited! They have a 1/2M, 10K and 5K. Our mini-vacation starts Friday and ends Sunday. There's still time to join us for anyone who wants to!

Chantel said...

I cannot believe you can run 11 miles. I can barely run 1. Good luck.