Sunday, December 16, 2012

New School Year Begins

Before I jump into what my post title implies, I forgot to mention a couple other small events that took place over the summer. First, we celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary. Yay US!!! In case you hadn't noticed by previous post, I'm still pretty smitten by him. Yeah, I know he's a complete goofball but I still think he's kinda cute. He's also fun, talented and he makes me feel loved EVERY DAY. He's a great dad and provider and I still feel pretty darn blessed that he picked me to spend eternity with.


Another special event that took place over the summer was my sweet little Emily became a TEENAGER!!! Can you believe she is THIRTEEN?!? I'm still in shock and I've had almost 6 months to get used to the idea. It seems to us that she completely grew up overnight. I mean that literally. She's changed so much is such a short amount of time. She's lost that babyness to her. Part of the big change was that she is now wearing contacts. I love being able to see her bright blue eyes all the time. 

She's a young woman now. She grows more and more beautiful everyday and we feel so blessed to have her in our family. 


So...a new school year! My kids are still attending American Leadership Academy. I think they are doing really well there and I'm excited for the new program Jalon will be participating in this year to help with his reading disability.

So Cole is in 3rd grade, Jalon is in 5th and Emily joined all the other 7th graders at the NEW Junior High/High School that was finished over the summer. I was a little nervous about her attending with high schoolers but so far it's worked out great. They keep them pretty separated much the way elementary schools keep the kinders and 1st graders from the older ones.The benefits of having more class selections and the opportunities to take high school courses at a junior high level is pretty exciting. I know I would have loved that!


Just before school started they hosted volleyball tryouts and guess what?????? Emily made the Jr. High team! I was pretty excited for her and it was a wonderful opportunity for her to grow as a volleyball player. Shortly after her season started the coach's husband was transferred for work and ALA needed to find a new coach. They evaluated several candidates and finally selected Weston to be the new coach. Yay!!!

I'd like to say that was it was all fun but it wasn't. Coaching is HARD! You'd be surprised by how many issues come up when you are a coach of 13 and 14 year old girls who don't know each other and are sometimes clickish. He had a somewhat rough start but very quickly the girls came together and started playing like a team. I thought after it was all said and done...Weston did a pretty darn good job for his first coaching gig. He's hoping they will ask him back next year too so we'll have to see...









I was impressed by how well Emily played and how well Weston coached. They finished their season with 8 wins and only 4 losses. Emily became a starter simply because she hustles for the ball and was one of their strongest servers. I couldn't have been more proud of her and it was absolutely a pleasure to watch her play. Great job baby girl!!!

No comments: