Monday, June 7, 2010

Wrapping up the 2009-2010 School Year

As you know, I switched my kids over to Cambridge Academy this year and as we wrapped up their first year there, I have to say it was a success! First, Cole was blessed to be a part of the best kindergarten program I have ever seen. They really know what they're doing, after all, it's how this particular charter got started in the first place. I couldn't have been more pleased and his teacher Mrs. Rundell is just the most adorable person you will ever meet.

All my hopes for Jalon came true. He completely turned around this year with the extra dedication of not one but two amazing 2nd grade teachers who spent countless hours doing one-on-one tutoring with him for weeks on end. He's finally reading where he should be and his confidence level has improved ten fold.

Emily had a great 4th grade teacher too, from Germany and she had no problem giving her students an extra push when she felt they could handle it, all the while having tons of fun in the process.

One of the things I was most impressed with was the dedication to give the students amazing educational opportunities. Through intense fund raising efforts and lots and lots of planning, the 4th and 5th graders were treated to a fun filled Grand Canyon field trip at the end of the year. At first I wasn't sure how comfortable I was with having my daughter do this but I'm so glad I allowed her to have that experience and I know it was something she will never forget.

So the night of the trip, I dropped my daughter off at her school around 10:30 at night to board one of those huge tour buses. I couldn't believe how nice it was! The seats were super comfy (seat belts included) and they had roof mounted TVs every 3 rows for their movie viewing pleasure during the drive. In short I can say that they were completely spoiled! This was their itinerary:

May 12th
10:45 pm - Depart from school

May 13th
6:00 am - Breakfast at Denny's in Page
7:30 am - Arrive at top of tunnel
8:00 am - Colorado river float beginning at Glenn Canyon Dam
11:30 am - Picnic lunch
2:00 pm - Wupatki National Monument
3:30 pm - Sunset Crater
5:30 pm - Dinner at Sizzler in Flagstaff
7:00 pm - Retire to Sinagua High School in Flagstaff

May 14th
7:00 am - Breakfast at McDonalds in Flagstaff
8:00 am - Depart for Grand Canyon
9:30 am - IMAX film "Grand Canyon: The Hidden Secrets"
10:30 am - Grand Canyon nature hike along the rim trail
12:30 pm - Lunch at the Yavapai Lodge cafeteria
2:00 pm - Desert Watchtower
5:00 pm - Dinner pizza party at Thorpe Park in Flagstaff
9:00 pm - Arrive back at school

Talk about fun! I want to go next time for sure!!! Here are some photos from Emily's trip...

WOW! It's been so long since I've been to the Grand Canyon that I've forgotten just how beautiful and amazing it is. JUST AMAZING!!!

So with that out of the way, all that was left was for our little Cole to graduate from Kindergarten. On May 26th we all gathered in the parking lot in front of their temporary school (the new one is complete, yahoo!) for their little ceremony. Don't laugh but I completely broke down crying when I saw all those little ones walking to the front. I was just so overwhelmed with my emotions. They were all so small and this was such a huge even in their young lives and they grow up sooooooo fast! It was just really hard for me to accept I guess. I'm such a sap!

Receiving his graduation certificate.

They let the entire school out for the actual ceremony. They also had every single 1st-6th grade class do something special for the three kindergarten classes for graduation. They really went out of their way to make the kids feel celebrated.
I just loved, loved Cole's kindergarten teacher Mrs. Rundell! Not only was she just adorable but she was truly fantastic with the kids! She made such a positive impact on Cole and I know Mrs. Rundell will always hold a special place in Cole's heart.

Cambridge Academy Kindergarten Graduate 2010

My baby is growing up.... :(

3 comments:

Mark and Karen said...

That Grand Canyon trip is amazing!!! How much did you have to pay for a trip like that?!

Lauren's kindergarten graduation is this week. I am expecting tears. I can't believe my youngest is ready to move on! :(

Nikki said...

I am so glad they had a great school year. I heard the trip was a success. That is the company Alan works with (Buses). I hope you guys have a great summer.

Miss Niss said...

your baby IS GROWN UP!! Holy cow!!! he was so little when we first moved here!!!! i guess that means its time for another one:) hahahahaha...j/k
WOW what a fun trip for emily too! yay!